Guidance for Students

Danielle Cohen
By Danielle Cohen Immigration Law Solicitor Linkedin
Danielle Cohen has over 20 years of experience as a lawyer and a reputation for offering professional, honest and expert advice.
1 April 2019

A student must be aware that an institution can only offer courses which involve full time study or part time in some limited circumstances, which lead to UK recognised qualifications, or is a course of study below UK degree level, that involves a minimum of 15 hours of classroom based day time study, each week.

The Home Office published the Tier 4 student visa sponsor guidance, which defines that if a sponsor has assigned a CASS to a Tier 4 general student to undertake study in the UK, after they have finished another course in the UK under Tier 4 (General), or as a student before the introduction of the UK work visa Points-Based System, the new course must represent academic progression from the previous course. Since the 26th April 2013, the doctorate extension schemes allow higher education institutions to sponsor students who are currently following a course leading to a PhD to stay in the UK for up to 12 months after their course has ended. Sponsored students apply for the doctorate extension scheme by making a new Tier 4 (General) application. Since the 21st April 2011, all courses and regulated qualifications must only be offered to migrants who can demonstrate English language ability at level B2 or above.

Short term students can also come to the UK, particularly to study English language, and we will be happy to advise either category of students on the application process.