Get in touch for expert advice

The essential issue in these cases is the continuity of residence in the UK. Continuous residence means residence in the UK for unbroken periods and for these purposes the period should not be considered to have been broken where the applicant is absent from the UK for a period of six months or less at any time, providing that the applicant had leave to enter or remain upon departure and upon return.

However, for the purpose of the 20 years rule, there is no need for the resident to have a lawful status throughout. Under Immigration Rule 276ADE leave to remain can be granted for a period not exceeding 30 months, if the Secretary of State is satisfied that the person has lived in the UK for 20 years continuously. Usually this grant is subject to a condition of no recourse to public funds, unless the Secretary of state considers that a person should not be subject to such a condition.

How can we help you

In order for immigrants to feel included in their new community they should be able to get settled. The route to settlement is long with some hurdles. It is very important to start the process correctly and no two people will necessarily have the same path to settlement. We are here to help you in understanding your immigration status, the options available to you, and to assist you in gaining settled status as soon as possible.

Danielle invites you to take a look at her blog, where you will see the diverse range of clients that she has helped.

If you have any questions about the process or would like to make an application please contact Danielle on 020 7267 4133. Danielle will only charge you for the first consultation if you decide to become her client and if she can assist you.

Contact Us! Leave Your Details or Call 020 7267 4133

The Firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority