Get in touch for expert advice

What is the UK Graduate Trainee visa?

The UK Graduate Trainee visa is one of the 5 global Business Mobility Immigration Routes. It is a route specifically for overseas workers on a structured Graduate Training Programme leading to either senior management or specialist position who are required to do a work placement in the UK as part of their programme. That route replaced the former inter-company graduate trainee route. The successful applicant would be able to come to the UK to participate in a graduate training programme for which the application is made.

What are the UK Graduate Trainee visa eligibility requirements?

To qualify for a graduate trainee visa you must:

  • Be aged 18 or more on the date of the application
  • Be an existing employee of an organisation that has been approved by the Home Office as a sponsor.
  • Have worked for your sponsor outside the UK for at least 3 months immediately before you apply.
  • Have a certificate of sponsorship from your employer with information about the work you will do in the UK.
  • Do a job that is on the list of eligible occupations.
  • You cannot apply to switch to this visa from inside the UK.

How long can I stay on the Graduate Trainee visa?

You can either stay the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, or 12 months. This visa cannot be extended but you can apply for another graduate trainee visa from outside the UK. You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 5 years in any 6-year period. If you spend time in a combination of any of the following visa:

  1. Intra-company graduate trainee visa
  2. Intra-company transfer visa.
  3. Graduate trainee visa (global business mobility).
  4. Secondment Worker visa (global business mobility).
  5. Senior specialist worker visa (global business mobility).
  6. Service supply visa (global business mobility).
  7. UK Expansion Worker visa (global business mobility).

How long does it take?

You can apply for a visa 3 months before the day you have to start working in the UK and once you apply and have proved your identity you should receive a decision within 3 weeks.

What you can and cannot do?

With a graduate trainee visa you can work for your sponsor in the job described in the certificate of sponsorship, study, bring your partner and dependent children to the UK, do voluntary work and travel and return to the UK. You cannot apply for benefits, change jobs, do a second job or apply to settle permanently.

Danielle invites you to take a look at her blog, where you will see the diverse range of clients that she has helped.

If you have any questions about the process or would like to apply for a Graduate Trainee visa, please contact Danielle or call on 020 7267 4133. Danielle will only charge you for the first consultation if you decide to become her client and if she can assist you.

Contact Us! Leave Your Details or Call 020 7267 4133

The Firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority