Get in touch for expert advice

What is a Minster of Religion visa?

It is a visa for those who offer the job within a faith community. In order to obtain such a job, you need to have a job offer from a licenced sponsor in the UK. The sponsoring employers must possess a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa sponsor licence.

What are the requirements for obtaining a certificate of sponsorship?

  • You must be aged at least 18 or over.
  • Possess a certificate of sponsorship (COS) corresponding to the role you perform in the UK.
  • Hold a job offer as a Minister of Religion from a licenced sponsor within the UK.
  • Demonstrate sufficient financial resources to support yourself whilst in the UK.
  • Satisfy the English language proficiency requirements.
  • Your salary for Minister of Religion must meet two conditions: It should match what other workers in the same job earn and comply with the UK’s National Minimum Wages Regulations.

What is the level of knowledge of English?

You may need to prove your knowledge of English language when you apply either by passing an approved English language test or having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by ECCTIS (formerly UK Naric). You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you are a national of a majority English speaking country.

How much money do I need to support myself?

You will need at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK and you will need to have the money available for at least 28 days in a row. You do not need to show proof of these monies if you have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months or your employer can cover your costs during your first month in the UK up to £1,270.

What is the role and activities of a Tier 2 Minister of Religion?

You will have a key leading role within your religious establishment or organisation in the UK. You will be expected to perform religious duties within your sponsor’s organisation and your role as a Minister of Religion should not involve mainly non-pastoral activities such as school teaching media production etc. unless the role is a senior position within your sponsor’s organisation.

Can I switch into a Minister of Religion Tier 2 route?

If you currently have leave to remain in the UK in another immigration category you may extend your stay in the UK by switching into this UK work route unless you have or were last granted permission as a visitor, a short term student, parent of a child student, seasonal work, a domestic worker in a private household or outside the immigration rules.

What is the duration of the Minister of Religion visa?

You will be permitted to enter and remain in the UK for either the period of employment stated in the certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days or three years and one month whichever is shorter. In total you can spend up to six years on this route. You will only be permitted to work in the job you have been sponsored for. Supplementary employment, voluntary work and study will also be permitted.

Does this route lead to settlement?

Tier 2 Minister of Religion can apply for settlement after five years continuous residence in the UK. Time spent on a Tier 2 Minister of Religion visa can be combined with time spent with international sportspersons, skilled worker, Tier 1 sole representative overseas business, and global talent route visas. The sponsor will need to re-confirm that they still require you to work for them for the foreseeable future and that you were paid the appropriate salary. You will be able to be joined by a dependent partner and dependent children under the age of 18.

Danielle invites you to take a look at her blog, where you will see the diverse range of clients that she has helped.

If you have any questions about the process or would like to apply for a Minister of Religion visa (T2), please contact Danielle or call on 020 7267 4133. Danielle will only charge you for the first consultation if you decide to become her client and if she can assist you.

Contact Us! Leave Your Details or Call 020 7267 4133

The Firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority