Get in touch for expert advice

Who can apply for the Overseas Domestic Worker visa?

The applicant must live outside the UK and apply for a visa to visit the UK with the employer if they are domestic workers in a private household and have worked for the employer for at least 1 year and meet the other eligibility requirements.

What are the eligibility requirements?

The applicant must:

  • Be aged 19 or over at the date of the application
  • Have worked for the employer for at least 1 year
  • Work in the same household as the employer or one that they use regularly and plan to travel to the UK with the employer, their partner or the children
  • Intend to work as a full-time domestic worker in the UK household where the employer lives and plan to leave the UK at the end of the 6 months and be able to support themselves in the UK without the need for public funds.

Who is the employer?

The employer must be a British citizen who usually lives outside the UK and who does not intend to remain in the UK for more than 6 months. The employer can also be a foreign citizen who is coming to the UK on a visit and who does not intend to remain in the UK for more than 6 months.

How long can you stay?

You can use this visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months but must return home at the end of the 6 months. You cannot extend this visa.

What documents are required for Overseas Domestic Worker visa?

Typically, the Home Office will be looking for the following documents:

  1. Letter from employer confirming the applicant’s status as a domestic worker.
  2. Contract of employment.
  3. Bank statements and pay slips demonstrating history of your salary payment.
  4. Written confirmation from the applicant that they have agreed to the terms of their domestic employment.

What are your employment rights?

When you work in the UK your employer must pay the agreed rate which must be at least the national minimum wage. You cannot be forced to work excessive hours, must have holiday pay and give you notice if you are entitled to it if your employment ends.

Danielle invites you to take a look at her blog, where you will see the diverse range of clients that she has helped.

If you have any questions about the process or would like to apply for an Overseas Domestic Worker visa, please contact Danielle or call on 020 7267 4133. Danielle will only charge you for the first consultation if you decide to become her client and if she can assist you.

Contact Us! Leave Your Details or Call 020 7267 4133

The Firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority