Get in touch for expert advice

Who can apply for a representative of an overseas business visa?

You can apply if you are an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK. You will have to show:

  • That you have sufficient money to support yourself without recourse to public funds; and
  • That you meet the English language requirement either by passing an approved English language test or having academic qualifications that were taught in English and is recognised by Ecctis or because you are a national of a majority English speaking country.

What are the eligibility requirements for this visa?

  • You need to be an employee of the overseas organisation or a senior employee of an active and trading overseas business who has established and is operating a registered branch or a wholly owned subsidiary in the UK.
  • You must have been recruited and employed outside of the UK by the business you intend to represent and intend to work full time as this representative.
  • The business must have and intended to continue to have its headquarters and principal place of business outside the UK. An office’s media company can have more than one media representative in the UK at the same time.

What are the conditions of permission to enter or stay?

You should not have access to public funds and only work as a representative for the business which you have been admitted to represent. You are permitted to study, with no limit on the number of study hours, if it does not interfere with the job you have been sponsored to do. There are special conditions regarding the permission to study for those who are not nationals of the countries listed in Appendix ATAS 3.1 and who wish to study a degree in technology.

How long is the permission normally granted for?

Permission to enter is granted for three years (media representatives only) and permission to stay is granted for two years.

Are dependants allowed?

Yes, but the dependant’s partner of the sole representatives cannot own or control a majority of an overseas business that the lead applicant represents. Dependants can undertake any work except as professional sportsperson and can study.

Is switching into the category allowed?

Yes, except where the applicant has, or last had permission as a visitor, short term student, parent of a child student, seasonal work, or domestic worker in a private household are outside immigration rules. Students can only switch to this category if they have completed their course or at least the first 24 months of a PhD. The category leads to settlement (indefinite leave to remain) and therefore a knowledge of life in the UK is required for settlement.

Danielle invites you to take a look at her blog, where you will see the diverse range of clients that she has helped.

If you have any questions about the process or would like to apply for a Representative of an Overseas Business visa, please contact Danielle or call on 020 7267 4133. Danielle will only charge you for the first consultation if you decide to become her client and if she can assist you.

Contact Us! Leave Your Details or Call 020 7267 4133

The Firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority